7 September Sep 2015 1251 3 years ago

160 years of Cirio, 160 years of 'Made in Italy'

The exhibition at Expo traces the story of one of the oldest Italian food brands

QR Code

At Cascina Triulza from Sept. 17 to Sept. 30, the exhibition entitled 'CIRIO A history of heart' celebrates 160 years of history of one of the oldest Italian food brands, now owned by the cooperative consortium Conserve Italia Bologna.

The exhibition traces the history of Francesco Cirio, the young talented man, whose name today is recognized in Italy and in the world as a synonym of Italian tomatoes. Cirio, born in Nizza Monferrato, (Asti), in 1836 by a trader of grain, at age 14 was already active in the vegetable market of Porta Palazzo in Turin. His resourcefulness brought him to engage in commercial activities flourishing fruit and vegetables to the city transalpine and British to become in a short time the most important agricultural exporter of Piedmont. In 1856, aged just 20 years, Francesco created the first factory in Turin where Cirio began to use, initially with peas and then gradually to other food products, the technique invented by Frenchman Nicolas Appert for overcome problems of perishable fruit and vegetables. In 160 years of history Cirio consolidated its position as a leader in the food industry, leveraging a brand of the highest quality, "100% Italian" , among the best known and appreciated by consumers.

It was therefore "a great pride detect this prestigious brand in 2004 - said the President of Conserve Italia Maurizio Gardini - which in the last decade has strengthened its international presence in over 60 countries, consolidating in the United Kingdom, where Today is the second most popular brand in the retail market and pushing up in a rigorous and selective market as the Japanese. "

The materials and reproductions in the exhibition come from a large heritage and archives now housed at the headquarters of Conserve Italy and in the spaces of the Museum of Francesco Cirio in Castelnuovo Belbo (Asti). The choice of materials was prepared by the head of the Museum Giuseppe Baldino and with the support of Mayor Francesco Garino. The project's design is by communications agency Moville Bologna.